Friday, July 3, 2009

Naples Makeup Artist Tells Best Kept Secrets on Applying Make Up: Color Scheme



Many people tend to ask me what type of makeup to wear with which outfit, and in general what's the color scheme "rules" that should apply with applying make up. As a general rule, there are three types of color schemes:

  • monochromatic - This type is when you have all of the same colors with different shades. For example, bright pink lips coupled with baby pink shadow and pinky blush would be monochromatic. Even putting clothes in with the mix is a good idea. A pink shirt would add nicely to the monochromatic look.
  • complimentary - When you look on a color wheel, the colors opposite to each other are called complimentary colors. When applying makeup complimentary help to offset the other color. For example, if someone has purple bags under their eyes, a good color to offset the purple and make it look less baggy would be yellow. Often times I'll take a yellow shadow and dab it under the eyes before putting a concealer over it. For acne/pimples, green works wonderfully to offset red. Neutrogena sells a great and affordable green concealer stick :). As a Naples makeup artist I use a lot of concealers and I have to say that the green (paired with a skin-colored concealer over it) does the best job at covering problem areas.
  • triadic - Triadic is defined as three colors that form a triangle on the color wheel. For example, yellow, orange and blue-violet would be three colors that you could blend in a mix to make a great triadic pattern. Same rules apply for triadic as for monochromatic.
These three color schemes are the general rules in applying make up. Even I still carry a color wheel in my brush belt to make sure I'm giving my clients the best options. It can be one of the best investments for applying make up :). If you have any more questions on color schemes or applying make up or skin care in general you can email me or follow me on twitter! I'm always happy to answer questions :).

JPB
Naples Makeup Artist
Follow me on twitter for more great tips and articles! - http://twitter.com/pro_makeup_jess
If you wish to book me (preferably 2 weeks in advance) email me at: jpb995@msn.com

No comments:

Post a Comment